My primary research interest is in the development and application of agent-based models for modelling social systems. I am currently working in the following areas (basic information on each of these areas will be posted shortly):
- Economic systems including:
- Modelling retail petrol prices
- Modelling individual consumer behaviour
- Geo-spatial restructuring of industrial trade
- Education planning
- Site prediction in Mesolithic Orkney
- Modelling early modern human dispersal
The theme that links this work is the notion of trying to simulate human behaviour.
I’m also very interested in developing other techniques to be used with ABM, for example microsimulation, spatial interaction models, genetic algorithms and neural networks.
I have some excellent PhD students who are working in the following areas:
- Geodemographic Classifications